Remodeling your bathroom comes with a ton of benefits beyond just having a space you enjoy more. However, many people become overwhelmed by the thought of remodeling, and consequently, never move forward with their plans. Don’t let one of these three myths stop you from creating the bathroom that you want.
Myth #1: It’s too expensive to remodel my bathroom
Not necessarily! While it is true that the average bathroom remodel in the U.S. will cost a homeowner anywhere between $8,000 to $10,000, it is possible to remodel a bathroom for as low as $5,500. How? It really just comes down to three things:
- The scale of the project-- Are you remodeling the entire room or just replacing the grout and giving it a fresh coat of paint?
- The materials you choose-- Do you need custom cabinets or are you happy with stock or semi-custom cabinets?
- How much you choose to DIY-- While we do recommend hiring professionals for any major changes, there’s no reason why you couldn’t regrout or re-paint yourself if your budget is tight!
Myth #2: The only benefit to remodeling my bathroom is having a more luxurious space-- which I don’t need
Actually, remodeling a bathroom does a lot more than just make your life a little more luxurious! Here are are some of the most common benefits a bathroom remodel can bring to your home:
- Replacing the toilet, sink, or tub due to hairline fractures can help prevent costly plumbing problems down the line.
- Improving the lighting can brighten the space.
- Optimizing storage increases the room’s functionality.
- Adding energy efficient elements can save you money.
Myth #3: I won’t be able to recoup the cost of the remodel
If you’re doing a massive overhaul, this might be the case. But this is not true across the board. The condition of your bathrooms can greatly impact prospective homebuyers’ impression of the home. A run-down bathroom may make a homebuyer question the integrity of the home (such as piping), and it will certainly make them less inclined to pay the asking price if they know they’ll need to upgrade the bathroom themselves after moving in. Therefore, a bathroom serves your best interests by improving the appearance of your home and increasing its overall value.
Don’t let these myths scare you. But know that whether you’re hoping to do a complete bathroom overhaul or just a few changes here and there, we highly recommend that you consult a designer before beginning your renovation. The designers at Kitchen & Bath Ideas have a combined 100+ years of experience to help make your dream home both functional and affordable. Contact us today for a free consultation!
Did you enjoy this blog, and would you like to learn more about kitchen and bathroom design, remodeling, and how to build the room of your dreams? Find us on Facebook for even more creative ideas for your next project.